So, this time I am going to pick up from that defining event in my life about 10 years ago. Was, it going to be an easy road? Not at all. It would take the next 8 years of work towards changing my mind set and towards putting "on" character traits and actions that would reverse those patterns.
How was this going to happen? First and foremost it was going to take co-operating with the Holy Spirit in my life and growing close in a personal relationship with God, my Father. That was going to mean, much time, consistent time in His Word and in prayer. Memorizing Scripture to hide in my heart and fight the battle in my mind. Learning more about God's character and believing it! Much confession and repentance of sin. Developing a hearts attitude of Thanksgiving. Putting "off" the old and putting "on" the new. Romans 6:12-14 (not letting sin reign in my body); Galatians 5:22-23 (the fruit of the Spirit) Ephesians 6:13-18 (the armor of God); Ephesians 4:22-24 (putting off and putting on); Philippians 4:8 (what to think on); Colossians 3:12-17 ( the character of the new man)
Depression and anxiety are centered around ones self. "Perfectionism" is also centered around self. Emotional- based living, allowing circumstances and others to dictate our moods and our treatment of others is centered around self. Ladies, I have had someone say to me, "Well, you get moody, don't you?" Let's not try to justify and excuse our sin. I am not talking about sadness that is due, I am not talking about a bout with anger or a bout with having a cry, or the hard times associated with that "time" of the month. I am talking here about a pattern of emotion that has become a constant, controlling matter in how we live and treat others. One that affects our passion and purpose for Jesus Christ. It was selfishness, a woe is me attitude and I had to call it for what it was, sin. As soon as I did that, confessed it, repented of it, I was ready for the Holy Spirit to work that change in my life. I was ready to stop with the excuses, stop being the "victim" and buckle up and get to work.
I was now going to have to trust in God and His character, believing in His Sovereign control and that He would change me. Psalm 28:7 (Trust);Psalm 33:20-22 ( Trust and Loving kindness);Psalm 103:18-20( His sovereignty); Proverbs 29:25 (fear of man) Daniel 2:20-22(He gives wisdom and knowledge); James 1:17 ( He does not change); 2 Corinthians 1:8-10 (He is our hope) I mean truly this list could go on and on.
I needed to learn to lay my anxieties at His throne and then not take them back. Every time I get anxious or fearful of man and then anxious, lol, ( I know some of you understand the process) I was really telling God, " I am going to lay these requests here before You, but I am going to then take this one back because I don't think You are BIG enough to take care of this one." Which is a BIG mistake. 1 John 1:9, 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Philippians 4:4-6,Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 5Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Matthew 6:25-34 ( not being anxious)
I had to start saturating my mind with Scripture, recalling and believing in His promises. John 15:4-5 (abiding in Him); John 14:26 (the Holy Spirit is our Helper). This is the only way not to be like this, James 1:6-8, "6But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."
Next time I'll get a little more specific about examining our hearts. You might think that would just be thinking about yourself, but this is for the purpose of truly bringing to light the heart issues that need confessing. Not just the "surface". Then I'll get a little more specific as to some disciplines to put into place to start on the road of living joy-filled. I needed to deal with my "ugliness" and personal lusts and bents first.
Psalm 62:6-8,"6He only is my rock and my salvation,My stronghold; I shall not be shaken. 7On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. 8Trust in Him at all times, O people;Pour out your heart before Him;God is a refuge for us. Selah"
To Him be all glory! Have a great week!