I was having my quiet time yesterday and studying a very familiar passage. The passage I studied actually consisted of three parables all with the same theme. They are in Luke, chapter 15. I'm often asked how I study the Bible, how do I learn something new from a very familiar passage, one that we have all been taught? Well...lol I'll just share what I learned from these three parables.
So, I am going through Living with Passion and Purpose, by Elizabeth George. I am walking through Luke with her and studying how Christ stayed the course, how He lived with an undivided heart and focus. Nothing swayed Him from His purpose. The very interesting thing I am seeing right now is how through this book, and Life Management for Busy Women, also by Elizabeth George ( what Corrine and I are going through). As well as Disciplines Of A Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes (what I am taking another young woman through), they all tie in together towards what I had previously been posting on about Living a Joy Filled Life.
So, to just read through the Bible doesn't cut it for me. I have to tear apart a passage, ask myself questions, answer those questions and re examine my heart to see where I am falling short, than apply change to my life. I like Elizabeth's books because they can help you do this if it is a struggle. Studying is learned, it takes time and effort. You have to be willing to put the time aside to build your relationship with our Father.
These passages showed me a few things...
1)The Lord stops to search for even just one soul, just one matters so much in heaven. Searching, takes time. It takes effort. Sometimes I ask myself what impact am I having on sharing the Gospel? Well, right now in my life, it is with my kids. The parable of The Lost Sheep had the Shepherd searching for just one lost sheep. The Lord gave me three children to start with and remembering that was encouraging to me. If I leave to go home with my Savior and my three children personally have Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, I rejoice in that.
2)The next parable was about the woman who knew she was missing one Lost Coin. This woman did a thorough house clean. Once again it took time and she did not give up. What did I learn from this? It took persistence, perseverance and a commitment. That needs to be something I am willing to do towards sharing the Gospel, staying focused, with purpose. I must be flexible and looking for opportunities. It is very easy to get caught up in my life and busyness, so I am challenged.
3) The last parable I studied was The Lost Son and what I learned about myself is that I am like both of these sons. Talk about getting smacked. I can be like the prodigal son in that I am selfish and selfishness costs others pain. I can be like the older son in that I can be hypocritical, feeling cheated and having a wrong heart, focused on externals.
4)What I learned about my loving Father. One of the reoccurring things that happened each time in these parables was rejoicing. When the Lost Sheep was found, the Shepherd called His friends together and rejoiced. When the woman found The Lost Coin, she called her friends and rejoiced. When The Prodigal Son had truly repented and changed his life, The Father rejoiced and threw a great party! There is so much rejoicing going on here! Do you understand that attribute of our Father? Do you see Him as being joyous over us? Did you notice that when the son came home and was asking forgiveness that the father forgave him before he finished confessing it? I mean really! Do you understand God's joy? Or do you only see God's wrath? Do you have a healthy understanding of all He is? It is awesome to think on! Doesn't it want to make you smile? What was so cool for me was just how it tied into all He has taught me on Joy Filled Living. Isn't great to know that we don't have to "talk" God into forgiving us? He is actually eager to do just that and rejoices when we do! What a compassionate God we have!