Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Racquetball

I have been wanting to give racquetball a try...my dad plays and now my brother Jonathan plays. So, my brother booked us a court at LA Fitness, court number 1 (whatever that meant). I was really excited thinking we had this private room to play and I didn't have to worry about a thing! Well, I should have known it was not going to be a good idea when Jonathan comes downstairs with one racket in hand and I said one of those things you know you want to take back as soon as you spit out the first word but it's too late, right? " So, do we share the racket?" Yeah....I know....
So, we get to the gym, go inside, check in and as my brother takes me to the left, this is what I see...


not just one but 5 huge rooms all with glass and all in perfect viewing for the many cycles upstairs, and the weight lifters, and the personal trainers, yeah so I am starting to regret trying this and then I think about the outfit I picked out to wear. I don't have gym clothes anymore and as I am thinking this through I realize my backside will be the view as we play our hour long game.Why didn't I have anything lycra to wear? Just shoot me now. I mention my concern to Jonathan but he reassures me that he booked court one all the way on the far left side, all the way in perfect view of everyone, I think. So, this is exactly what our room looks like. It was the longest hour of my life. Let's just say, I had wedgies to deal with, a mental block on the instructions of the way to play, I actually missed the ball and tried to grab it only to have it hit me in the nose, I had countless "air" balls, meaning my racket swung like a mad woman. At one point I turned to look and see if anyone noticed us and there was a man sitting on the bench in front of us with his head down laughing and when he saw me look at him, he had to get up and move out of sight until he gained his composure to finish his workout. That about did me in. My brother must have been bored because he hit the ball so hard all I could see was a blur of black flying towards my face, so what did I do? The proper "girl" thing. I screamed and jumped out of the way! We ended a little early, and as we left the building we walk to the car and what do I see but someone had stuck their gum on my side of the door handle! Yeah, first and last time for racquetball.