Psalm 19:14"Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer."
I've had some thought about the subject of journals for awhile now. Why? Because I used to journal in a very unedifying way and when I give counsel to woman (whom seem to journal more than men) I caution them in how they journal. The interesting thing is that there are many more out lets for journals these days. Blogger, Word Press, Xanga, FaceBook, My Space...all these are ways in which we write down and express our thoughts. Now, I am not saying that they are all bad. I have, obviously a Blog, and a FaceBook, but what I am addressing are more the hidden, private journals done in a book. The kind of journals I am talking about here is the day to day, "This is how I feel" thoughts. "This is whom I am unhappy with" thoughts. Inter- mixed with these posts might even be a few thoughts on the Lord. (It's easier to justify your other entries if you have some of these thrown in).
So, many years ago, when I believe I was searching out my faith and possibly not even saved yet, I struggled with anxiety and depression. A people- pleaser, and it ruled my life for many years. One year, when my anxiety played out in very outward ways I went to see a secular counselor. He recommended something very futile in my growth and that was to journal. To write about how I felt about anyone, only then, I was to write myself a letter as if they were to answer my thoughts (confusing? ridiculous!). It was awful, I think I filled up two books of gossip, maligning, self pitiful words. In time, as I searched the Scriptures I began to realize that this wasn't a "freeing" thing to do, it had the opposite affect. Not only that but I had these books and if I had died and my family had gone through these pages, shame on me! Are these the last words I would have wanted to leave with them? Were these the last things I wanted them to think I thought of them? Yuck, garbage. I begin to see that these were all about "self" and destructive. So, when my husband and I moved into a rental home there was a fireplace and I burned them page by page seeking the Lord's forgiveness and vowing to never journal that way again.
Now, I enjoy journaling. I do it here. I have a book as well, but it looks all different now. Something that counselor did do right for me was to tell me I lacked gratitude in my life. So, as I begin to journal ,wanting to please the Lord, I started a "I am thankful" journal. No complaints, just thankfulness. This turned into a prayer journal, once again no complaints allowed just petitions (be careful, not to backslide when writing out petitions for others) and praises. Than journaling took on a new meaning and I journaled about Scripture only. The Psalms, The Proverbs, I would write prayer requests praying Scripture. This is edifying journaling. It takes everything off of self and placed it where my thoughts should be, on the Lord and thinking the best of others. Now if I were to die and my family and friends found my journals, I pray that they would see Christ and a life changed. So, as I read blogs, as I write my blog, as I journal may it be edifying. Have a great day!
Ephesians 4:29
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from my mouth, but that which is good for edification, that it may give grace to those who hear."
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from my mouth, but that which is good for edification, that it may give grace to those who hear."
Just a side note. I am not speaking here about maybe say a journal of a loved one passed or writing your thoughts in someones memory. I think you do have to be careful that it is still edifying and not keeping you in a place of mourning too long but this is different than what I am cautioning of.
I also want to clarify that I am not saying do not journal through and illness. I know of many people who have journaled or blogged about a loved ones illness and it definitely was not always an easy road and they dealt with real hurt, but what they did differently was to give it all the the Lord and always used Scripture to encourage their hearts. Theirs was not a maligning journal of someone else. I have been so blessed by many friends who have been an example of trusting in the Lord through these times and such godly examples to me.
I bought a friend of mine a journal for Christmas. It is journaling Scripture. The book has a Psalm for each day, which you read and then on the next page you journal what you have learned or a prayer using the subject of the Psalm for the day. Here is the link if you want to check out the ones she offers. I have only bought the Pslams one so I can't vouch for the rest. The site is Ellie Claire gifts and you can get them also on Amazon.com and Christianbook.com
I also want to clarify that I am not saying do not journal through and illness. I know of many people who have journaled or blogged about a loved ones illness and it definitely was not always an easy road and they dealt with real hurt, but what they did differently was to give it all the the Lord and always used Scripture to encourage their hearts. Theirs was not a maligning journal of someone else. I have been so blessed by many friends who have been an example of trusting in the Lord through these times and such godly examples to me.
I bought a friend of mine a journal for Christmas. It is journaling Scripture. The book has a Psalm for each day, which you read and then on the next page you journal what you have learned or a prayer using the subject of the Psalm for the day. Here is the link if you want to check out the ones she offers. I have only bought the Pslams one so I can't vouch for the rest. The site is Ellie Claire gifts and you can get them also on Amazon.com and Christianbook.com