Monday, April 6, 2009

Oh Those Little Stones

Kidney Stones, by my definition are the most evil excruciating things ever. Kidney stones run in my family, we have a long history of them and not just one or two mind you but earth shattering, infection causing, hospitalization requiring history.

My first blessed event (because you know it's worse than labor and with out a little bundle of joy for your outcome of hard work), came about 19 years ago, just ten weeks after Corrine was born. I spent two days in the hospital and we were not even sure I had passed it. It was miserable.

I went a whole 11 years without passing another stone. Then one day, it happened, that excruciating pain in the back radiating all around the front, that makes you feel as if someone just socked you and took your breath away. This time I was hospitalized for four days and passed an
unprecedented number of stones. A total of eight to ten! Even the hospital felt bad for me. I could hear the walls groaning for my pain, or at least once on pain meds set in I thought I heard the walls sympathizing for me. So, they ended up almost drowning me with fluids and after a month later and one more Lypthotripsy oh and a cancer scare because of the fluid that they flooded me with, I was back to normal.

So, here I sit today, wondering if it is happening again. Only I know there is only one baby this time on the left hand side. I had an xray done back in October of 2008 and was so happy there was only one. The doctor thought it funny I was excited at the prospect of just one stone, but wanted to schedule a Lypthotripsy to zap it. Somehow time got away from me, a major move, Christmas, New Years....you know how it goes. Well, last week I came down with an infection, a pretty severe one and have been on meds, only this morning have I noticed my left side where the kidney is hurting and I sit in wait. I began to think "No way, is this little puppy getting the best of me!" "I'm going to color my hair, so at least I look good going into the ER" so I did and I cleaned. I am beginning to think I will name my little stones like they do hurricanes. I do have enough to go through the alphabet I think and if it wants to give birth than I ought to give it a name. So, here I go starting with "A". I think I'll wait to see what transpires and the pain level before naming my little bundle of joy and deciding if I want a boy or a girl. Any suggestions?