Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So, my son started volleyball for Saugus high school last year, playing on the freshman team. It was a great year, they played well, and the boys and parents developed such a great bond that we could not wait for this year. Almost all of the boys made the JV team this year and Caleb was starting libero for the Centurions. I think it was just as they were getting ready to start our valley's league games that the Varsity coach made the call to move Caleb on up to the Varsity team, due to one of their team members not qualifying because of grades. I have to admit in my  naivety, selfishness I was bummed because I didn't want to leave the team, lol. I'm so emotional that way, but Tom quickly explained to me that this was quite an honor and would look great on his transcripts that as a Sophomore, he went Varsity. So, I got over my sadness and quickly got excited after Caleb's first game against Canyon in which the coach said they owed that win to Caleb! From then on, it's been an exciting season watching our son "dig" (term fro diving for anything and bruising your hip) ;) and set and serve and just "explode" into volleyball madness! Saugus went on to finish a tied 2nd with Canyon this year and went to first round CIF playoffs. They are a "young" Varsity team so we are so excited to see what happens next year and now some of those JV players will move on up! Caleb received his first "letter" and an award for Academic excellence. We are very proud of him! He also just finished driver's training so soon he'll be licensed and I am wondering where time has gone. One in college, one almost Junior and last one in Jr. High. Love you Bud!

The lights in this gym were very "old school". They were orange so I had a hard time color temp correcting them so forgive the bad job.


Getting in the zone for the big game.
Team stretching. Caleb is to the second to the left.
Nice and limber
Warm ups
That's Caleb attempting a block. He's usually not in the front, he plays in the back row.
 
This is Caleb blocking and it worked! The guys all went crazy!
 
Caleb serving, which he has so improved on. Scored them 3 points off the bat  in the first game.The last play of the game Caleb went for a ball and ended up diving over the other teams bench. He is what I call "Scrappy". Scrappy is good and what I have learned means goes for everything. We need more of that this next year. Can't wait!