Friday, May 1, 2009

Some Challenging Days

Vertigo
Found this picture and Tom and I cracked up. These are supposed to be special glasses to help people deal with this condition. Good thing I felt well enough to laugh about this. Funny thing is as sick as I felt last Sunday I would have given these a try. So, my first severe case of vertigo hit me last Saturday. I felt dizzy a bit on Friday and if you know anything about the schedule Tom and I keep I thought maybe I had just over done it and some sleep would fix me. Also if you know anything about me you know I tend to like love coffee so I thought maybe just maybe I had been drinking more coffee than water and was getting dehydrated. Saturday morning I could not move my head without all the symptoms of Vertigo, spinning, sliding off the bed, nauseousness, couldn't open my eyes yet couldn't keep them closed. So Tom was off with Caleb to a volleyball tournament all day and my 12 year old son took great care of me. My daughter and a friend brought me bottles of Gatorade and Dramamine and by the evening I was sitting up and thought it was the dehydration that did it. Well, that night as I tried turning my head I could feel it so I new it was back and Sunday morning Tom was off to church and it was so bad I had to just lay and wait for someone to come find me. I could not even turn for my phone it was so bad. Finally at noon my grams (who bless her heart had never been upstairs because of her knees) wanted to come up and check on me so my mom helped her up and I was like, "Help!" Thankfully at the same time Tom came home and said that was it to the ER we went. Oh dear Lord I prayed how am I going to make it to the hospital with out throwing up or passing out, but I did. I know it was the prayers of our family and friends that got me there and helped me as I waited in the waiting room on what was a horribly busy day. Each time I saw a baby come in or bless his heart a 100 year old man with a bad cut on his head, I knew I was in for a longer wait. I had to use the bathroom at one point and all they had available was a port a potty outside and my husband and this other man walking his 100 year old father out were like, "Are you kidding us?" no they weren't so out the door he and I slowly went, he into the woman's and me into the men's lol. I wasn't about to tell him he had the wrong one. So, 7 hours later some fluids, a couple of very nice doses of liquid Valium some Zofram and some Meclazine home I went. I am recovering a little every day and am happy to report I no longer need assistance to the restroom or my water brought around to my head tilted to just the right position, but it is very slow going. I'll be making an appointment to our ENT as I have suffered with my ears clogging every now and then for about a year but leave it to a busy mom to not take care of those needs. The Lord continues to refine me and teach me. My husband was absolutely wonderful and many of our friends have brought us dinner and my sister-in-law has helped with picking up my son. I am so blessed by our body of believers. A few people have asked what the Lord might be teaching us or me and I have had time to think on what our Pastor said one Sunday. We may never now this side of Heaven what some of our trials are for but I have a choice in how I respond and walk through them. The good is that I had much time to pray and in particular for one woman who often came to my mind, Connie Mchaddad. I am also reminded of all I do that I take for granted like cleaning and driving and showering, all the basic day to day things, going to the bathroom by myself. I am also challenged to memorize more and more Scripture because I still can not read well from lack of focus and I need more Scripture to recall to myself in these times. So, God causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him and those who are called according to His purpose and that momentary light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison. 2 Corinthians 4:17 and Romans 8:28. So, before this happened Friday I spent the morning with Corrine at an allergy specialist. Corrine is allergic to all over the counter pain medications and this could be life threatening if not addressed and she was in a position where she could not talk. So, she gets a medical alert badge, a shot of  epinephrine in case of emergency, Benadryl taken in liquid straight from the tablets, a new inhaler (because we had no idea but her breathing was pretty low) and nose drops, whose child is this, this poor thing. Can you imagine giving birth and not being able to take anything or having a kidney stone? She can't even have anything for a headache or cramps or a fever or the flu. So, we are trying a couple prescription meds in very low dosages to see if she can tolerate that and if not than we are off to maybe a special hospital. So, all in all it has been a bit challenging and yet I am so thankful for God's healing and even if he chose not to allow that in our life we know that this life will be but temporary. I so look forward to that perfect body but I am so thankful to be actually sitting up and typing this too. Have a blessed weekend!